Too often an improper rig is set up, unexpected hole deviation, improper drilling techniques, or lack of supervision are the cause of bad results like missed targets, re-drilled holes, etc. Hole path control (HPC) was created by BG Drilling and it's a method of monitoring and controlling borehole trajectories. It helps the exploration geologist (the client) reach the desired target. HPC can be considered as the missing item in mineral exploration drilling campaigns and it’s the only one ‘insurance’ the geologist can ever get. The implementation of HPC ensures that all possible measures to achieve maximum results are taken. The HPC service is offered at a flat rate charged monthly per borehole, no matter the depth, size or type. The cost for the service its in rate that will take only about 0.3-0.5 % of the total monthly cost per borehole and it's silently paid off many times minimizing the unexpected problems.
HPC tools and measures providing optimum results:
- Special software (OnTrakTM) with mathematical algorithms providing the most probable hole path predictions
- Interpolations of faulty survey results
- Trajectory extrapolations of the borehole in progress.
- Statistical and graphical representation of the holes for better understanding
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the survey data
- Can be tailored to the required core barrel types and stabilization configurations
- Sets proper drilling parameters to minimize hole deviation
- Provides wedging and directional drilling monitoring (if required).
The truth is that the exploration geologist has too many things on their plate. Things of а great importance regarding hole control are often underestimated, neglected or taken under consideration with a delay. This in combination with limited drilling experiance can result in substantial time and money loss. Here is a list of a few common mistakes :
- Wrong deviation evaluation and interpretation
- Drill rig set up and initial angles not optimized
- Poor survey data monitoring.
- Lack of comparison between the actual position and the planned one.
- Lack of control over drilling process, parameters and equipment used
- Incapability to detect dis-calibrated survey tools
- Inappropriate survey intervals
BG Drilling’s HPC is a 24/7 service provided in real time by our directional drilling engineers. The service is provided remotely from our headquarters 'war room' in Sofia. The team will communicate with the client by phone, email, or other means of communication, like Skype, Viber, Messenger, etc. and will monitor the hole process and advise the client when needed. Here are some of the HPC benefits:
- Improved hole success rate (in terms of trajectory)
- Improved accuracy at the ore intersections
- No re-drilled boreholes
- No wrong rig set ups
- More time and less responsibility
- No money wasted
- Saved time and money
- Get an expert opinion and do not invent information
- Documented justification for proper decision and actions.